Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Current BMI and a zucchini lover???

Holy hell we ran for 8 minutes straight today!  And I didn't pass out.  We did the full 3.2 miles running 8 minutes and walking 5 minutes.  I think it took us just under 40 minutes.  After yesterday's inhaler I didn't think I was going to be able to do it but I did.  Whoop Whoop!!! 

I had a bad reaction to my lunch yesterday. I ordered a fat free turkey no carb wrap with honey mustard from Jersey Mike's. I think I ate it too fast because before I could finish half of it I felt sick.  I took off half of the wrap and it was the first time I ate something so wrap/bread soft so it could have been a reaction to that but I really think it was because I ate too fast. Lesson learned.   

BMI update.  In August of 2011 my BMI was 41.7 and my current BMI is 29.7.  I've gone from obesity to overweight!  Small victories people!

I'm working on some new recipes for next week.  What do you think? I've enjoyed cooking since I've had surgery. It fun to cook stuff other than hamburger helper all the time. The other night I cooked in my Batgirl cape.  Momma the superhero! Ethan got a kick out of it.  If you have any healthy family recipes you would like to share pass them my way!  Check out these recipes I found with my new favorite ingredient zucchini and squash.  My sister in law is so proud of me for this new zucchini obsession.

Zucchini Chips.  http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/2012/08/06/zucchini-chips/

Pre surgery I didn't eat zucchini UNLESS it came from a Japanese restaurant and wad dipped in shrimp sauce.  These days I eat them all the time. I like to use them as a filler instead of rice and add them to browned turkey and black beans. I put them in my egg muffins.  They really aren't that bad. At our seafood boil Paulette brought some zucchini chips over and they were very good.  I tried to make them a few weeks ago and I didn't dry them out enough. I'm going to retry with this recipe.  These will make a great snack.

Pinned Image

I'm going to check out the farmers market and see if I can find a deal on zucchini because I have another recipe I wanted to try.  Check this out.
  Pinned Image 
Fun right?  It's called Pizzucchini.  http://dashingdish.com/recipe/pizzucchini/
 Healthy and fun for the kids.  Ignore my grocery list but I need turkey, 4 large zucchini, grated parmesan, and mozzarella.

What about this?  Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs?  http://www.alaskafromscratch.com/2012/09/17/spaghetti-squash-meatballs/

No carb spaghetti.  Costco has some chicken meatballs that we are dying to try.  Where the heck do you find squash this big? Hopefully the farmers market.  When are squash and zucchini in season? I want to eat the vegetables that are in season and on sale to help save money.

Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs

and one more zucchini recipe!  Gosh I hope they are in season!  Zucchini Lasagna!


http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/zucchini-lasagna.html
My sister was making lasagna for her husband's birthday and she had my craving lasagna but typical lasagna is loaded with no so healthy goodies.  I need one of these slicers. http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-V-Blade-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B001THGPDO?ie=UTF8&tag=ginsweiwatrec-20&link_code=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969 


I think these look like wonderful hearty fall recipes. I hope the weather keeps cooling down around here. I'm dying to eat some warmer meals and buy a pair of boots and leggings with sweaters! 

1 comment:

Kat Weeks said...

I have several healthy, quick recipes that I use, I'll try to remember to post them on FB after our Halloween party (things are so crazy right now). Do you want the calorie/fat/etc. numbers too?



I think zucchini is a summer squash but with you being in Florida, it might be year round. Luckily there are different types of squash available all year round. I love zuchhini and yellow squash in the summer and acorn squash in the fall, mmm. Spagetti squash is pretty good too.


If you want a simple way to cook zucchini/yellow squash, slice them thin and add them into a saute pan with a (very little) bit of oil and salt/pepper. That's it. I was surprised how even Dave liked this and he's not much on zucchini/squash.


Farmer markets are the best place to get your veggies. Be aware though, some booths will actually sell items from bulk stores! Even these tend to be cheaper than grocery stores but they are not "local farm" items. Best way to find out if you are buy a "fresh from the farm" item is to either look for the "local farm" sign or ask. Another good thing you might notice when getting your items from a local farmers market vs. a grocery store, the fruits/veggie tend to last longer since they haven't spent days traveling in a truck.