Monday, December 10, 2012

The big one



The Gate River Run

If I can do this I can do anything. 9.39 miles. The race that I never in my wildest dreams thought I could do.


Through downtown, over 2 bridges and weaving throughout San Marco. A 15K. 3 times longer than I currently run/walk.

I'm not going to lie I doubt myself. Big time. I doubt my abilities all the time. I like to speak outloud confidently but as always my biggest demon's and obstacles are inside my head.

I want to do this. I need to do this. I need to prove to myself that I can do this. That I'm not the same girl I was. That there's nothing on this earth that I'm not capable of doing. I know it's only 9 miles and to some people it's a walk in the park but to me at this moment it's my Mt. Everest.

This morning Chrissy started walking with me again. It's almost like started from scratch for her so it will be slow. I downloaded a 15K for beginners training sheet which starts on Monday.  I'm going to use this week with Chrissy as a nice warm upand then hit it on Monday.

This is a copy of my training guilde. http://www.gate-riverrun.com/images/15ktraining.pdf

What are your thoughts?  For my readers/friends/family that have pushed through something they thought they couldn't do. How did you do it?  What drove you?

Edit: Once I finish the race I'm totally gifting myself this as a goal reward!

2 comments:

Kat Weeks said...

The route looks amazing and fun.

Girl, if you already run 3 miles, 3 days a week, you already run a 15k a week!

You can do this, you have plenty of time to train and you're already a third of the way there!

While training for the Breast Cancer walk, I never looked at my miles as the big numbers, instead I'd break them down to what I was able to do.

Don't look at it as 15k or 9 miles. Look at it as you are doing 3-miles... 3 times. How do you feel after your current 3-mile runs? As your body gets used to it, you'll find adding another mile isn't that much work. I'm willing to bet that you don't feel as tired as you did when you ran your first three miles. Add another mile or two to 4-5 miles, and you're almost halfway done! Get to 6 miles and girl, you only have 3 miles left, a distance you already KNOW you can do!

It is all math, numbers, and mental game. Oh, and make sure you fuel your body! As you add miles, start thinking about adding fuel. How do you fuel yourself before your runs now?

Trust yourself and your body, it is capable of such amazing things!

Oh, one more thing, if you can, find someone who can do it with you. Having someone to chat with helps to make the time fly faster.

Kat Weeks said...

Oh, and park like a mile away from the starting point. The walk from your car to the starting point will help warm your muscles up!