Monday, November 12, 2012

Salute to Veterans 5K

Yesterday morning was the Salute to Veterans 5K.  When we arrived it felt like there were 30 outstanding runners present and then us. I was starting to get nervous. I haven't been running like we did last month. How embarrassing it would be to come in dead last? I know someone has to be last but I just don't want it to be me.

The first 8 minutes felt great and the last leg felt good.  The middle is where it went bad.  It started with the right side of my stomach area.  A sharp pain. I ran with my hand over it applying pressure. Just push through Sabrina.  Then both sides of my lower back started screaming at me. Still I pushed through. I didn't want to stop. My legs weren't hurting. My lungs weren't whizzing. I wanted to run.  Eventually though my back won.  I had to slow down. I wasn't expecting the bridges to be involved in the race. Gosh those things kill my legs but I used the downward side to help propel me forward and keep my momentum going. During the run I kept looking behind me to make sure I wasn't dead last.

Overall I think I ran slower than normal but I finished. I set a realistic pace for me to beat next time.  My finishing time was 44:15

Here's our group shot.  I love our red, white, and blue.  Hate my hair though. I guess I should put more thought into that next time! lol My husband did ask me if we were ever going to not dress up. I mean really? What a silly question. It's all about the dressing up part!




Ethan finished 4 out of 5 in his age group.  32:01. I'm very proud of him.



Here's my man. He did amazing! Better than me! Finishing time 37:49



And then me and JB.



And then Chrissy.



It was a good race and a fun time. It felt good to gt that sweat going early in the morning. I think there's a few things working against us. 1. Not running during the cold weather. 2. Not running during the day light. I don't think either one of us are use to the hot sun.  I'm signing us up for the Thanksgiving 6K next week and then the Jingle Bell run Dec 8th.  I want to keep running and push myself. I still have my doubts if I'll ever be able to run the GateRiver Run or even a half marathon.  I really don't feel like I'm improving but I don't want to give up either.

Goal update: I weighed less than Nate this morning!!! I'm currently 187.8!

No comments: