Sunday, August 30, 2015

Sunday funday update!

I'm happy to say both projects are complete! I love a weekend where the deductions in your bank accounts are reflected around the home! 

I'll start with my project first. Ethan's desk/wall unit. I woke up made a cup of coffee in my yeti cup and hit up Lowes for the original stain. Both boards from yesterday looked good to go but I needed to finish the desk piece. $12 for the can and I was back in business. 

Well...I couldn't repeat my screw up from yesterday but I got it done. It doesn't look like the board I love so much but it was good enough and had enough poly to survive a teenage boy. 

Hanging the 3 brackets were easy. Started off with the one of the left measured off from there. Nate & I worked together with leveling & toggle bolts. We drilled the holes & secured the top 2 shelves while the desk was drying. 

Here's the finished product!


I'm so happy with it. I'm undecided between one more shelf midway on the right or a piece of art like this


To finish the project I have to paint a couple chips in his wall. Not from the project but from teenage boys wrestling in his room. Grrrr. Don't get me started. I also need to accessorize the shelves. I want to hang art work on the middle shelf to add layers and add a wire basket. Total desk cost was $200. More than I was expecting but I didn't include the cost of the bolts, screws, stain, spray paint (for the brackets). I do like it more than any desk I looked at for $200 so I'm okay with it. My main goal was to provide Ethan ample storage space and a quiet space for homework. His first week of high school already equated to 12 hours of homework so he's going to need this space. Check out that new computer too! Less than a $100 bucks because some friend gave it to Nate because it was "broken" and bought a replacement. My IT husband put in a new hard drive and something else and Ethan has a brand new all in one! Holla!!! 

Nate's project. While I was staining and spray painting the boys worked on the shed base. They ended up with 12 cinder blocks and 4 heavy duty pallets. It created a nice base for the shed and no weak points. Through the rain (thank you Hurricane Erika) they worked and started moving lawn equipment into the shed. 


Instead of bushes we've decided on a framed trellis and vines for the right so we don't have to stare at the cinder blocks. 

Along with trellis to complete this project  Nate has to run electricity down (easy peasy). Overall cost $320. 

Now the boys are sorting through the messy garage & Lorelei & I are babysitting this gorgeous yard bird!!! Happy weekend friends! 




No comments: