Saturday, August 29, 2015

Saturday progress

Holla! I can post from my phone! Thanks to a last minute upgrade from our regular season tickets seats to the Terrace Suites including all you can eat food  & drinks  we were a little slow going this morning. Today's goals including moving the shed to its permanent location & building Ethan's desk and wall unit. 

After I cooked a hearty breakfast Lorelei, Nate, & I headed to Lowes. Gosh I love that place! First we stopped by the patio department. Deep clearances going on for patio accesories. I grabbed 2 pillows & a ceramic planter for the back patio. $21 for all three!!!

I had my plans drawn out for the desk so we started with that. Dark stain, wood, brackets, & screws. Total bill was $221. I'll look at the receipt and calculate the exact project job later. I went home & started staining the top 2 shelves. We went with a stain that included a polyuathan in a walnut color. I hated it! The thing I like best about stain is its idiot proof unlike painting. This was a thick consistency and sticky. I painted one board & asked Nate to return it and pick up my old trusty. I stained both boards again and guess what? I liked the first one better! Check it out. 


So, Nate is going to buy another can and I'm going to paint the other shelves like the original. 

This is my inspiration picture & my drawing.




Meanwhile Nate & Ethan were working on relocating the shed. We were unsure how we were going to construct the frame. We decided to go with cinder blocks & pallets as the floor base. Due to the location of the shed & tidal waters we have to get it elevated. This is the current location. 



We tried just blocks first but it doesn't provide the supported needed for the entire floor. We are going to use pressure treated pallets on top of the blocks. Along the side I'm going to transfer some of the underbrush to hide the lower side of the shed. 

Side note: what are your thoughts on the fire pit? We thought we would move those rocks to the side of the house & out grass down instead. It's $450 worth of rocks so I don't want to waste it but I'm not sure if I love the gravel now. I love how green and large our backyard looks now. What do you think? Leave the gravel & add 4 adirondack chairs? Or switch it out for grass & 4 chairs?






No comments: