Thursday, August 9, 2012

In the woods

This weekend we decided to spend 3 nights camping in St. Petersburg at Fort Desoto.  The campgrounds were gorgeous. I wanted to share some of my camping tips so I don't forget and to help others.

1. Food!  Do as much prep at home as possible. Our menu looked something like this.
    Friday- (Dinner) -hotdog over the fire, store bought potato salad, and potato chips.
    Saturday- (Breakfast) Hashbrowns, bacon, & scrambled eggs (Lunch) turkey and cheese sandwiches
    and chips (Dinner) skirt steak appetizer, sausage with veg tin foil wraps
    Sunday-  (Breakfast) Hashbrowns, bacon, & scrambled eggs (Lunch) peanut butter and jelly sandwiches

    and chips (Dinner) skirt steak appetizer, taco & doritos in a bag.
    Monday- (Breakfast) cereal bars once the car was packed and we were on the road.

I prepared 2 coolers. Our refrigerator cooler and our freezer cooler. Everyone received a death threat to not open the freezer cooler.  The items we needed to stay super duper cooled stayed in there and it worked like a champ! Drinks and Friday and Saturday morning meals stayed in the refrigerator and as the day progressed and moved items to the fridge to let it defrost.  The key is to do as much prep at home and give everything a hard freeze. I cut up all the potatoes, vegetables, and browned the taco mix at home and then froze them days before camping.  Not only did it help us with storing the food but it saved so much time and energy while trying to cook in 90+ degree weather.  My husband was very happy.

My other concern was what was I going to eat. I don't want to make a big to do about my surgery so I planned meals that were surgery friendly and I didn't tell anyone until Sunday night :)  I ate a hot dog Friday night and almonds around the fire.  Saturday morning I had a 1/4 of a strip of bacon maybe a third :) and scrambled eggs.  Lunch I had turkey and cheese no bread.  A piece of skirt steak and turkey sausage with bell pepper and asparagus.  Sunday morning 1/2 bacon and scrambled eggs, almonds for lunch on Sunday, and the tacos I made we ate in a bowl smashed with Doritos chips. I made it with ground turkey and black beans cooked with taco seasoning.  The meat mixture plus some low fat cheese and salsa was perfect for me. I even threw 1 Doritos in! I brought plenty of snacks for the kids and whenever the snacked I popped a couple of almonds or drank water.  Overall the food issue was not an issue at all!

2.  What to bring.  Believe it or not we didn't forget a single thing!  Thanks to a couple what to bring list on the Internet my husband was able to pack every single thing we needed.  I'm a list kinda girl and when it comes to camping you can't just run up to the store if you forget something.  Be organized people!

3. Electricity!  Yes, our camp site had electricity and we used it the first night for a light in the middle of the camp ground and we also used it for fans in each tent.  Again with camping in South FL during August I'm not ashamed to say I used a fan bitches! It was still hot at night but the fan made it bearable to sleep with a sheet.

4.  Camping with Toddlers?  It's a pain in the butt. I'm not going to lie she drove us all crazy but we got through it and had a great vacation.

My favorite part was the beach. The beaches there were beautiful and it reminded me of Mexico. During the day we would spend it on the beach and at night we would stand guard against the crazy raccoons.

Overall a great vacation! I'm looking forward to talking my family into another trip out there this spring break!


No comments: