Saturday, March 7, 2009

Thrift Store Lamp

We are in desperate need of table lighting in our living room. I found the diamond in a rough lamp at one of mine and Yaritza's favorite thrift store. It is basically a giant warehouse of crap! We have found all kind of great things there. Like this thing. I have named it thing because I honestly don't know what it is. :) I mean ....thing is a official decorating name...absolutely.
$4 It is heavy as shitz and was original concrete gray. I primed and spray painted it Mediterranean blue. We haven't finalized his home yet.
Okay, back to my lamp. I think it was $6. it was chipped and scratched and just needed some TLC.

It was originally brown with silver accents. I wanted it black, of course :)

I taped off the silver, cord, and top. Then I sanded it. Basically just roughed it up a bit.



Primed. This is the primer that I used on our coffee table so it was free :) Oh and the painters tape I had in my "shop" from painting the house.

I spray painted it black satin. $3.44 from Lowes. I probably had enough at home but hey you can never have too much black spray paint :)


This is after I pulled off the tape. I think it looks great. Without the lampshade the project cost around $10. I was thinking of something like the one below. A rectangle lampshade to go with the base. I think that the shade might be more than the actually lamp but I am okay with that because I still saved almost 80% retail cost. And as soon as I find the perfect one it will stand proudly and brightly in our living room

No comments: