Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Adding some color to Lorelei's bathroom

When picking out paint colors for the house I picked a very light gray color for Lorelei's Bathroom. I'm surprised nobody called me out on picking such a blah color for the bathroom but maybe my friends and family know there is a method for my madness.  I knew that I wanted to add color and décor to the vanity not the walls. This bathroom is not only Lorelei's bathroom but it's the number 1 guest bathroom. My goal was to make it girly and fun without making it too kid friendly. No Hello Kitty shower curtains and rugs in for us. We were lucky that the previous owner used builder upgrades throughout the house but I don't love all of the choices. For example, in Lorelei's bathroom we have an upgraded vanity but I can't stand the color. (Note: It's also the color of each of our vanities and kitchen cabinets!) 
 
 
I've read many blogs on how to paint cabinets but I was scared to death to start the process. Even if I didn't like the color at least the cabinets looks nice. Friday afternoon I bit the bullet. Picked up a can of primer, 2" Purdy brush, 4" foam roller, and SW Enamel Coral Reef paint.
 
Step 1: Remove the cabinet doors and drawer faces
 
Step 2: Give the doors and base a rough sanding. I hated this step and wish I would have asked Nate for his electric sander. I wanted to see some paint already!
 
Step 3: Prime. I picked a primer recommended from my local friendly Lowes employee. Primer is a pretty gross and sticky substance. I tried to work fast and not be perfect. I used the brush for the edges and the foam roller for the flat surfaces. Once it white I started to get pretty excited!

 
 

 
Step 4: Paint!!!  This was my favorite part. The SW Enamel paint is very thick and perfect for cabinets and furniture. I used the brush and foam times 2.  I made sure to wait for the recommended hours as directed on the can between coats.
 



Step 5: Wait.....72 hours for the paint to harden. This was the hardest part!!!!

Step 6: Put the doors and cabinet fronts back on. 


Hardware: glass knobs $12.98 for 10!!! Score!!!

Step 7...Admire your hard work!!!!



Cost:
SW Enamel Paint $35.
Purdy Brush: $12.
Primer: $15.
Foam Rollers: $6.
Hardware: $13.
Total: $81.




No comments: